Monday, September 29, 2008

Season 1, Episode 1


Aired 6/15/69

Charley Pride might not seem like the first choice to head the pilot episode, when so many bigger stars followed, but Charley was at the height of his popularity at the time, and his performances of "Kaw-Liga" and "I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You) show why.

Loretta Lynn, who was on practically every country music show in the '60s, does "Your Squaw's On the Warpath." The band I used to be in did a cover of this, and I can attest it's a blast to play on guitar. What else can I say, except great song by the Queen.

Buck Owens. A highlight of the early seasons is Buck and the original Buckaroos, with the great Don Rich. On this episode, they do one of my favorites, "Who's Gonna Mow Your Grass." Unfortunately, instead of Buck and the 'roos performing, viewers are treated to a crude "music video" consisting of people pushing lawnmowers around. No wonder Buck quit the show.

Grandpa Jones was an absolute barbarian on clawhammer banjo, as evidenced in episode 3 of the first season. Here, he does "The Banjo Am the Instrument for Me." It certainly are.

The Hager Twins. I don't remember why it was I hated Jim and Jon Hager so much. They're actually pretty cool in these early episodes, like here, doing "Six Days On the Road."


No comments: