Sunday, October 26, 2008

Season 1, Episode 8

Aired 8/10/69




Waylon Jennings: By the late 1970s, Waylon's voice had settled into a pretty uniform baritone--not very dynamic, but totally recognizable. So this performance of "Delia's Gone" is a revelation to me. This version is set against the brooding minor chords of "House of the Rising Sun," and employing some haunting touches of sitar, all of which enhance the song's Appalachian murder ballad lyrics. As the song builds, his voice rises in pitch until it soars dramatically in a range I've never heard from Waylon. The result is absolutely chilling.

1 comment:

Variations On A Theme said...

With the exception of the basic fact that he's a country music singer, I knew nothing about Waylon Jennings (and still know almost nothing), but now I have an amazing reference point. That truly is chilling. I wanted to play it really loud, but the kids are sleeping. I'll crank it up tomorrow during the day.

Thanks for sharing that.